Thursday 26 April 2012

The Marquis De Sade & 120 Days of Sodom + other writings

As I've said before, I'm new to the Erotica Game and although not a teenager anymore, I had assumed my eye's where adequately opened as a result of my life's experiences so far. That is until........I started reading The Marquis De Sade's 120 Days of Sodom & Other writings (American 1st Edition by Grove Press).
I thought his story of "Flourville & Courval" was actually very interesting. I was impressed at the way De Sade put the story together like a jigsaw. The constant revelations of Flourville entices the reader so it was very difficult to put the book down.(I won't give away the story so that you may read it yourself)
Onto 120 Days, well, what can I say? This book is predominantly a book for those with the unique fetish of Coprophagia (eating feces) to which over 50% of the chapters are dedicated. The language is descriptive albeit repetitive but the Characters are intriguing, robust Libertine's at their best, locked in a mansion with numerous playthings of both sexes and all ages at their disposal, to which they use to the utmost. 120 Days catalogues events that happen on a daily basis, and quite a number of the antics are performed after the detailed presentation of the Story-teller.
I found this literature at times frustrating as The Marquis eludes so much to events that are to follow, However, many of these events never arrive. De Sade also consistently encourages the reader to "Use your imagination" as to the goings on of other events.
Overall, I'm all the more wiser for reading it but it was at time laborious and if I dare say, boring.(Apologies to all Marquis De Sade Fans-this is just my opinion) This work has revealed part of a new world to me, and for that, I am grateful.
I've omitted the discussion of Part 4-120 Days of Sodom as it refers to De Sade theatrical works, I may return to it at a later date.
All comments are welcome on the above post - I would love to hear your views.

No comments:

Post a Comment